To prevent widespread flu and other illnesses in the school, we recommend that your child stays home from school if experiencing flu or cold symptoms. To decide where or not to send your child to school, please consider the following guidelines.
- Consider keeping your child at home for an extra day of rest and observation if he or she has any of the following symptoms:
Very stuffy or runny nose and/or a cough o Mild sore throat
Mild stomach ache
- You are required to keep your child at home for treatment and observation if he or she has any of these symptoms:
Fever (greater than 100 degrees by mouth and your child’s return to school only after his or her temperature has been consistently below 100 degree, by mouth, for a minimum of 24 hours).
Vomiting (even once)
General malaise or feeling of fatigue, discomfort, weakness or muscle aches
Frequent congested (wet) or croupy cough
Lots of nasal congestion with frequent blowing of nose
A child who has a fever is to remain at home until “fever free” for a minimum of 24 hours.
A child who has started antibiotics needs to be the medication for 48 hours before considered non-contagious and able to return to school
Often when a child awakens with vague complaints (the way colds and flu begin), it is wise to observe your child at home for an hour or two before deciding whether or not to bring to school.
Your child should be physically able to participate in all school activities on return to school. Keeping a sick child at home will help minimize the spread of infections and viruses in the classroom.
- To help prevent the flu and colds, teach your child good hygiene habits:
Wash hands frequently
Do not touch eyes, nose or mouth
Cover mouth and nose when sneezing or coughing, use a paper tissue, throw it away and then wash hands
Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Colds are the most contagious during the first 48 hours.
- If your child becomes ill at school, you will be notified by the school via phone call or text. You are expected to make arrangements for your child to be picked up within an hour of being notified.
Thank you in advance for helping make this year at Shoal Creek as healthy as possible and being considerate of those who don’t wish to be exposed to the flu or cold at school.